vitals.

shameless sinner. I love beautiful things, I see them everywhere. No Regrets. Just Ripening

Friday, April 11, 2008

Namasté

A word sometimes used for greetings in India, more often those of emotional connection, If you have read Shane Claiborne's "The irresitable Revolution", you will have come across the term. It means, "The God in me sees the God in you".

Sometimes the English language is insuffiecient, at least in the most basic sense.

Calcutta (or Kolkata, depends on whom you ask) has continued to be an eye opening experience, that without a doubt, will leave footprints of all sorts on my life. There are so many little things that I could talk about here, that have changed the way I view the world, and examine my life, but I won't. It would be exhausting, and disabling. I need to write a book just to catalog the wild array of emotions and thought I have had since the moment we landed. It will have to wait for another day, or conversation. Or you could just come here.

But I will however indulge you in a little slice, a tidbit, a smudge if you will, of my experiences here thus far.

One. The other night, I happen to be idle in my room, tired from the long humid, and violently hot day, when I heard music, and cheering, yelling. There were drums and flutes and chanting of sorts. I immediately sprang to my feet, grabbed my camera, and ran out the door, to find that there was a Hindu celebration of sorts taking place in the small alley way right outside our hotel. It was singly of the most amazing things I have ever seen. There was so much energy, and the excitement of it all was increased by the use of lighting and constant movement, and smiles, hands in the air, all in a dark, dingy little alley way. It made me forget that people used that very same alley way as a public washroom. It was an absolutely beautiful event. So I began to film take pictures frantically. Soon Adam Joined me. But before I knew it, an Indian man latched himself onto my arm and pulled me toward the center of the chaos. A loud cheer ensued and I began to dance. Yes, I was in the center, dancing with a hundred Indian men surrounding me. hilarious. A moment frozen in time, that I won't soon forget.

Other than that, there have been plenty of even more amazing occurrences that I would love to tell you all about, however for the most part they are less glamorous on paper, so I will leave them for another day.

We are halfway through our time here in India. I am already sad about leaving. I would love to be here for longer, much longer. I will be back, that I know. There is too much for me here. Too many amazing children, beggars, sisters, brothers, mothers, shop owners, old and young. Too many beautiful people, that given the chance have so much to say. They have the faith (whatever it may be) of children, and are some of the most trusting people I have ever met. It makes me wonder where we have gone wrong back home. I guess it's a give and take situation. You can have community and trust in one another, streets littered with people, chatter, and movement. Or you can have privacy, room, security, and working sewage systems. Not both.

But maybe we can.

Anyways that really came out of nowhere, disregard it if you please. Or think about it, and take me seriously, look around at your neighbors, the community, and questions it's validity. I know I never really do. Just something to think about.

Anyways I am going to go. I am tired. I am up at 6am tomorrow for a full day with Mother Teresa's MOC. Keep Adam and I in your prayers, we are praying for you.

Your's,

MickD

2 comments:

Natalie Amber said...

Mike! I had quite given up on your blogs and had no idea you were in India now! How amazing! I pray you keep in good health and bring back all the love and spirit of community that will no doubt be planted in your heart. Cant' wait to chat with you and see photos.

calaismarie said...

i'm still not simply 'moved' each time i read your blog postings, but absolutely shoved back into life. R.E.A.L. life. words cannot say thankyou. it's one of those times where that cannot be expressed in my mother tongue: namasté