vitals.

shameless sinner. I love beautiful things, I see them everywhere. No Regrets. Just Ripening

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

City in the Clouds.

To be honest it's my head that's in the clouds.
Adam and I decided to go to Darjeeling this past weekend, and arrived back in Calcutta this morning. Over the course of the weekend we traveled close to 40 hours, so if I am all over the place, or just don't make sense, please don't judge me.
Thursday night we jumped on the overnight train that takes us to the base of the mountain. It is about 10-11 hours by train to get to the closest stations, where you then grab a jeep that takes about another 3-4 hours to reach the top of Darjeeling.
The jeep ride was incredible. Aside from the fact we had 12 people in a jeep smaller than any minivan you have every laid eyes on.
The scenery was beyond all expectations. Beautiful vegetation builds it way u the entire side of the mountain, making for some of the most ravishing views out the back side of our car. It's too bad I was scared for my life most the time as our driver speed up the mountain at alarming rates, passed other jeeps, and dared the cliffs edge to hold us from a 200 foot drop off. It was an experience.
Arriving in Darjeeling, the first thing I noticed (aside from the ridiculous view) that it was cool out. That's right we had left out home of 37 degrees for the welcoming cool air of Darjeeling.
There are not a lot of words that I can put on paper that will give you a real idea of what Darjeeling is like. It's a very diverse place despite only homing only 100,000 people scattered all across the mountain face. There where a lot less Indian people than expected and a lot of Thia, Chinese, Nepalese and a mixture of others.
The most interesting of Darjeeling's many layers is it's political activism. Almost every day we were there Adam and I followed a political rally, whether it was the local Tibetans gathering to protest Chinas rule over Tibet, or the locals of Darjeeling demanding that they receive independence of West Bengal as Gorkhaland. The air was always filled with some tension of some sort, which kept Adam and I chasing the sounds of drums and chanting.
Again the scenery at the peek of the mountain is ridiculous. Adam and I spent a day hiking around the side of the mountain, making our way to the peek (which incidentally is an Indian army fortress, where we weren't exactly received with open arms). Nonetheless, it was breathtaking.
All in all the trip was amazing. From the political drama, to our small cottage of a hotel room looking over the mountain, to our now favorite Indian food stand to a day spent white water rafting (level 4 rapids if that means anything to you), Darjeeling was all in all amazing. I must say that returning to 36 degree weather today and heading directly to Kalighat was a bit of a shock to the system.
It's amazing the difference between Calcutta and Darj, they are worlds apart, yet you look at them on a map and they are remarkably close. It's defiantly a world worth seeing. And boy, I'm thankful that I am seeing it now.
I am sorry if this isn't the kind of post that you are used to reading from me. It's a bit more of a tourism blog than anything thought provoking. I didn't really let you into my mind too much today so I will have to put something else together soon. Don't worry I have plenty to say, and lot's of time to do it. I'm sure your not worrying.
Anyways that is me.
We leave India (tear) next Sunday, which will be a sad experience, however I am very excited to have one last hurrah with all of the wonderful people in Southampton and London. I will most certainly spend some time in reflection and let you know what I come up with.

I hope you are all taking life as it comes and loving every moment.

All of his love.

Michael

1 comment:

calaismarie said...

have you come into contact with "sufi whirling" in your travels over there?