vitals.

shameless sinner. I love beautiful things, I see them everywhere. No Regrets. Just Ripening

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Kali.

Hello all.

I didn't plan on writing again before this weekend, but I am. We are headed to Darjeeling this weekend for 4 days, and I thought I would write when I got back (and I still may), but I just wanted to let you guys know what is going on with Adam and I at the moment. For the past week we have been volunteering at Mother Teresa's MOC (Missions of charity) Kalighat house. It's more commonly referred to (by westerners) as The house of the Dying and Destitute. Sounds fairly intense doesn't it?

Well I won't play it down and say it isn't. One of the first things Adam and I saw when we arrived was two dead bodies being carted out. That was eye opening.
We frequently see wounds that are beyond repair, and hear screams of bloodcurdling pain and torture.

I left the first day with few words for anyone. I was zonal. Trapped in my own head for a few hours. I knew that the things I had seen and heard where things that many people will not experiences in 70 years of life. I had to process them all in a 5 hour span.

But I came around. My mind cleared and I prepared myself to go back the next day.

Seven days deep, I can now say that working at Kalighat is as profound an experience I could have asked for. It's almost left such a mark I feel that it isn't easy to just tell people about it. Amongst all the anguish and pain there is hope and thankfulness, and laughter, and many other moments that help me get out of bed at 6 30 am everyday.

Seeing the thankfulness on one parallelized mans face when he is washed, massaged or adjusted is something I can't justly explain. Another teaches Adam and I handshakes, another just likes you to sit with him.
One man Ajay (who is not terribly ill) loves to help the volunteers and sister administer medications and care for the others. He also draws and loves to share is drawings with us. Every time I find myself in a moment where I am struggling or tired, or angry at the world, one of these patients does something to calm me, and often spread a smile on my face.

I can say I love working there. It's scary, and well out of my comfort zone, but it has spread much joy in my heart as well. I am very thankful.

On a side note, let me tell you about the area of Kalighat.

The word "Kalighat" actually refers to the Hindu God of destruction. Right next to the MOC house is actually the Kalighat Temple where you can see them slaughter dozens of goats and lambs every day as sacrifice. People behind the temple are drinking their blood and whatnot. They live in fear of Kali.

All I can say in India in Bananas.

Anyways that is all for tonight. I hope this finds you all well.

All of his Love for you and your loved ones.

Michael.

No comments: