vitals.

shameless sinner. I love beautiful things, I see them everywhere. No Regrets. Just Ripening

Monday, July 28, 2008

An end to a means.

Where does honestly begin? Where does it end?

Recently I have been trying very hard to put honesty into practice in my life. By that I mean, I say what I want and what I mean. I have found that being honest from the get go of a relationship, or even a random conversation with Joe-guy on the street can be liberating and rewarding.

But at some point, in the practice of honesty, things have to get serious. Not just my inner most secrets and dreams serious, but a serious that involves other people. It involves changing the landscape of even already honest relationships. And that is scary.

In these times, when truth rears it ugly (or beautiful) head things will always change. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes for, well, the worse.

So my problem lies somewhere between speaking these truths, and not speaking them. When is it ok to keep truth to yourself? Is it ever ok? Or should I stop worrying about the end, and continue practicing the means?

This one makes my gut wrench.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My gut too...

I have the same question than you: when is it ok to keep truth to yourself? All I can say is that maybe everything depends of the circumstances, and you just have to act according to them, and according to what you think is right.

Some people consider that to not say all the truth is a way of lying, but I'm not sure about if, sometimes, that is also a sort of shield against pain.

And, anyway, for me it might be harder to find out a lie than to face the truth, even if this one hurts.

calaismarie said...

well maybe there are some checkpoints to decide whether the "truth" should be spoken or your tongue should be held. off the top of my head...i often ask myself:

1. is it loving? is what you're going to say or do something that will encourage someone or at least encourage growth in that person?

2. are you capable of saying it in a way that will get your loving intention across?

3. are you prepared to accept ANY response? good, bad, or ugly? are you confident in how you feel...enough to be unashamed regardless of how its received? or will you regret your honesty if what you have to say doesn't elicit the response you hope for?